Tuesday, February 10, 2009

2009 National League East Champions!

It's going to be a banner year at at Citi Field/Metropolitan Stadium, where the Mets will celebrate their first year in the new building by storming to 93 wins and a division championship. So says the people at Baseball Prospectus, whose projection system picked the Mets to finish first in the NL East in 2009.

I don't see it - and I'm going to spend most of the next seven weeks telling you why I don't see it. Pitchers and catchers are around the corner and I'm bringing the blog back this year. I just finished a piece for Flushing University about Alex Rodriguez, which I expect will be up within 24 hours.

Loyal readers - and there are probably five or six of you - will the Mets win 93 games and a division championship? Or will they win 84 games and finish in third place, as I am boldly predicting with less than a week before Spring Training begins?

5 comments:

TW said...

I think the win total is accurate, 84 wins is ridiculous. They won more than 84 last year with no bullpen to speak of. Geez, sit in the sunshine a little get a little optimistic, will ya'? But this is the part when you chide me for being naive and I tell you that you will be wrong for the next seven weeks.

Keep in mind that 93 wins might not win them the division or wild card. Its just a prediction, and it my feeling that they will top 90 wins, and I think 93 isn't out of the question, hell, if things were to break in all the right places, I could see 98 wins.

Jack Flynn said...

I hope you're right and I'm wrong.

Mack Ade said...

Jack:

I'm already on record saying the Mets will make the playoffs, but will not win the NL East... same problems... no depth, questionable starters, and old guys getting hurt...

Mack

Jack Flynn said...

Thanks for stopping by Mack! I'm adding you to the concourse level.

Unknown said...

Every single year...the "EXPERTS" predict the mets to win the division. I am getting tired of hearing it. As a philly native. The phillies get no respect. We won the world series last year...the only change was upgrade to left field...and the mets are going to win?? hahahaha 24 games out of first...thank god for the nationals...or the mets would be the worst team in baseball. GO PHILS!